Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 4/30 - 5/4
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Goan restaurants are almost nonexistent in the U.S., perhaps due to the fact that the region enjoys such a resort-town popularity in India that few of its chefs would ever imagine emigrating their bustling hotel kitchen posts." Lawrence of India: Lizardfish + The Cuisine of Goa.
- "Because the days move faster than you think, and because setting your kitchen egg timer or your iPhone is, well, problematic." Your Foie Gras Countdown Clock.
- "So when faced with the Oktoberfest-of-Mexican-beer that is Cinco (or should we say "Drinko"?) de Mayo, arm yourself with our top 5 beers we think you should get down with before the tequila drops you to the floor." Top 5 Mexican Beers: What to Drink Before Tequila.
- "(They also sent us many interesting photos, but we'll spare you those.)" Chefs' Worst Kitchen Injuries: More Fun Behind the Stoves.
- "Daikon, fish cakes, eggs, suji niku (charmingly billed as "fibrous meat"), tofu and konjac, a traditional vegetable that's kind of like a cross between a plant and an eraser." Eat This Now: Oden at Morinoya.
- "I'm back there just playing with food, having a good time." Stuff I Eat: Going Vegan in Inglewood.
- "It's nothing new -- it's that same stuff Louis Pasteur called ''the most healthful and most hygienic of beverages.'" Red Wine's Anti-Aging Properties Confirmed in Study.
- "Why would anyone be concerned about a pizza joint that doesn't invest in an actual storefront?" Update: Hollywood Pies Moves West + Seating Coming Soon.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.