In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "...it's safe to assume that few of us have ever been as voracious as the planet Neptune, which may have, according to a paper by Steven Desch quoted by The New Scientist, once slurped up an entire super-Earth and stolen its moon."
I Can't Believe I Ate the Whole Thing: Neptune Eats Planet
- "In Haiti, we use our finger a lot, to scrape stuff out. This is the gritty mindset that exists. I could get another teaspoon out of that. I could feed another person, mathematically speaking."
Cooking With George Laguerre: A Lesson in Haitian Food
- "But I'll try anything again and again, even if I don't like it. I don't like green peppers. But I love sloppy joes and you can't have sloppy joes without green pepper. Tell me one person that doesn't like sloppy joes, because they need to die."
Q&A With Jon Shook and Vinny Dotolo, The Men Behind Animal, Part I
- "And, no, you cat-haters out there, it will not taste like cat pee."
Hello Kitty Wine: Cat People and Alcoholics Rejoice!
- "Yet should inspiration strike to bake a dessert, go with it, because a cake that would be a delightful treat any time of year, but just happens to be kosher for Passover, gets the compliments flowing like nothing else."
Passover Planner, Part 2: Wine, Desserts + A Cake Recipe from Jamie Cantor of Platine Cookies
- "Though many of our city's farmers' markets may share similar vendors and farms, no two are built the same. The Original Farmers' Market at Third and Fairfax serves as a culinary landmark, a multi-generational meeting place, and a gastronomic gateway to The Grove. " Top 10 Things to Eat at the Original Third and Fairfax Farmers' Market
- "Desserts, as you know, are always welcome. The most popular dinner-party guest I know is in the habit of bringing her home-baked pecan pies with her to every occasion, and her terrier is in the habit of howling himself to sleep out of loneliness." Ask Mr. Gold: Dinner Party a La Mode, B.Y.O.H.P. (Bring Your Own Huckleberry Pie)
- "You know the 5 second rule when you drop food? Well it doesn't apply to ice cream, yogurt or apple sauce."
Larry King Tweets About the 5 Second Rule