Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 3/21-3/25
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "While waiting for Pho Minh to resurface (please, please, let it resurface), try Pho Filet, a couple of blocks away, which also has a delicious pho bac, highlighted by a slab of filet mignon that looks as if it came off on the losing side of a knife fight, in a broth crazy-sharp with cloves." Ask Mr. Gold: Take Two Down, Pass 'em Around.
- "'Kids love pizza, but we have to teach them pizza isn't just lots of cheese on top and ham or pineapple.'" Celestino Drago Teaches Kids to Cook + FREE EATalian Kids Meals + A Recipe.
- "Anyone who is still avoiding French cuisine because they think its all heavy sauces draped over various seared meats (you've surely dropped your New Year's resolutions by now anyway, right?) needs to become friends with frisèe." What's in Season at the Farmers Markets: Frisèe.
- "Those who fret at the mere thought of Starbucks buying Peet's need not worry: You can only go up from here." 10 Places to Get a Damn Good Cup of Coffee.
- "It's just that we can picture our high school niece tossing out words like 'Ohmygod. That is so dorky.' by page ten." Cookbook Review: Teen Cuisine + A Teen (Tween?) Friendly Oatmeal Cookie Recipe.
- "MovieRecipes.net chef John Christenson's recipe for the vanilla milkshake from Quentin Tarantino's Pulp Fiction does not come with coke, heroin or adrenaline (sorry), but it is a sublime version of a legal old school shake." A Recipe From the Chef: MovieRecipes.net's Pulp Fiction Vanilla Milkshake.
- "Going to catch my pig for my dinner." And Now, A Brief Message From Ludo Lefebvre.
- "She was always like, [excited voice] 'But wait a minute: If I put this pan in here then it's a wasted movement, so wouldn't I do THIS? So let's move this over here.'" HBO'S Mildred Pierce: Bad Diner Pies, Depression-era Food + What Kate Winslet Was Doing to Chicken at Tom Colicchio's House.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.