Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 3/15 - 3/19
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "There hasn't been the stew invented that isn't improved by a leftover packet or two of Zankou's garlic sauce stirred into the braise a half-hour before it is taken off the fire." Mashup! Or, the Art of the Repurposed Condiment.
- "Listening to the two chefs read Reichl's tweets on air is hilarious. One thinks of William Shatner reciting Bashō." Food on Twitter: The Beautiful Schizophrenia of @ruthbourdain, Part 2.
- "When did pig's ear begin to take over the culinary universe?" Ears to Good Friends: 5 of the Best Pigs' Ears in Los Angeles.
- "Okay, how about Glenn Beck with a brûlée torch? I'd pay money to hear Padma tell him to pack his knives and go home." More Food-O-Vision: CBS Orders Food Reality Show.
- "We here at Squid Ink are supportive of exercise, but in as much as we like to observe it while sitting down with a beverage and a plate of food (see: March Madness)." The Best Places to Eat Outside and Watch The L.A. Marathon.
- "It's sturdy and it's brown. Like the logs that built Lincoln's cabin and equally as exciting." Top 10 Kit Kat Flavors You've Probably Never Tried.
- "Canter's Deli, an institution known as much for its round-the-clock service and its preserved-in-amber ambiance as for its cuisine, just leapfrogged into the year 2010 with a food truck that hits the streets of Los Angeles -- hopefully this week." Canter's Food Truck: Kibitzing in a Neighborhood Near You.
- "It's hardly surprising that a cookbook that begins with a pig slaughter and ends with trying to sneak a whole ham past airport security (TSA officer: 'Is this human?') had us hooked from the word 'ham.'" Cookbook Review: Ham, An Obsession With The Hindquarter + A Spicy Deviled Egg Recipe.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.