Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 3/12 - 3/16
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Imagine a hot dog taken to its architectural extremes, layered with avocado, pineapple relish, cilantro, onions, tomatoes, crushed potato chips and a latticework of squeeze bottle spreads -- garlic mayonnaise, mustard and a chile-spiked fancy sauce, among other things." Hot Dog Heaven: Return of the Super Perro.
- "The good news is that a reasonably priced omakase experience is entirely possible -- in fact, many sushi chefs are more than content to customize a meal based around your optimal budget and tastes. It might not be as inexpensive as sushi that comes off a conveyor belt, but you won't be dropping entire paychecks either." L.A.'s 4 Best Bargain Omakase + The "Jiro Effect."
- "Outstanding in the Field is the Rolling Thunder Revue of underground suppers. Those who like table-to-farm eating as much as the farm-to-table sort will be stoked to learn that the organization has revealed its 2012 calendar and will begin selling tickets on Tuesday, March 20." Outstanding in the Field 2012: Ticket on Sale Soon.
- "Because sometimes you want that chicken with a side of kimchi pancakes or Japanese pub grub, we threw in a few suggestions that will satisfy your craving by way of Koreatown or the local izakaya." Fried Chicken Flowchart: Where to Go for Fried Chicken, American and Otherwise.
- "It's not a special occasion, your parents just miss you and want to treat you to a good dinner and catch up. Awww." 5 Places to Eat When Your Parents Are Treating.
- "The latest addition to the list of things that can send you to an untimely grave: red meat." Red Meat Linked to Premature Death, Study Shows.
- "Sick of hearing 'yucky' when you set food in front of your offspring?" What Chefs Feed Their Kids + A Recipe for Josiah Citrin's Potato Chip-Crusted Chicken Tenders.
- "You've shopped the Grove till your brain can't tell boots from a bra. You've pushed your way through the Original Farmers Market, too. Let's face it. You need a drink." Planet Dailies and Mixology101 Opens Today + A Recipe for the Spicy Fifty.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.