Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 3/1 - 3/56
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "I was just happy to be eating chicken, to be drinking bourbon, to be alive on a happy Tuesday night." Will Tweet for Food: Chicken Night at The Foundry.
- "It occurred to Stewart's fans, many of whom wore Free Martha T-shirts and threw parties the night of her release, that her situation could have been, well, a little cooked." Happy Anniversary: Martha Stewart Released From Jail 5 Years Ago Today.
- "People do not want to travel to the Valley. We've been playing with the idea of going to the other side." Changing of the Gelato Guard: Gelato Bar to Take Over Hollywood Gelato Co. on Hillhurst.
- "Your phone is your friend, your guide, and your GPS locator. (Hi Karl Rove!) Now it's also your enabler." The Village Voice Happy Hours App: Your Phone as Drinking Buddy.
- "What do power drills, blow torches, fondant and buttercream have in common?."
Top 10 Food TV Shows: Hope Your TiVo's Hungry.
- "Even the two dollar valet parking (required) encourages good will. For some folks in the area, that's about the cost of gas just to drive to Bulgarini in Altadena." Vegetables (& Bulgarini Gelato) With a View: The Yamashiro Garden Market Starts Thursday.
- "What had I done to myself? To my restaurant? I wasn't ready for all this." Gordon Ramsay's 'Kitchen Nightmares' Comes to Manhattan Beach.
- "The main course was three meager scraps of boiled meat on a plate, the house version of bollito misto, but whatever the gray stripes of tongue and flank may have lacked in visual appeal - prison food, I imagine, looks a lot like this - they made up for in flavor, which was like the rich, salty, animal essence of meat concentrated into a few small mouthfuls." A Meditation on River Café, An Elegy for Rose Gray.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.