Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "So you're just going to have to go with me on this: I was a baby bulimic." NYT restaurant critic Frank Bruni.
- "I'm dabbling in it and looking at becoming a chef." Keanu Reeves on molecular gastronomy.
- "There, in the middle of the room, lighted, draped, surmounted by a huge glittering block of ice, was an altar: an altar covered with hundreds of fresh herring, the first of the season, just flown in from Holland." Oliver Sacks, on the annual herring festival.
- "It's like a big stomach." Project manager Bill Deaton on his Oxnard processing plant, which converts onions into fuel.
- "I'm afraid I can't tell you exactly where that is," from Mr. Steingarten Presents: His Favorite L.A. Restaurants.
- "I'm thinking about creating the world's most expensive cupcake," from Ludo Lefebvre's Chocolate Cupcake Recipe.
- "Judging by the expiration dates of several entries in the table, Day wasn't as up on his food safety regulations as he was on his dots," from The Periodic Table of Condiments.
- "If the world is going to take an abrupt Cormac McCarthy turn, some of us will need chocolate," from The Nutella Earthquake Preparedness Kit.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.