Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 2/27-3/2
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "This may be the only standard restaurant dish anywhere in the world whose origin points to a bored 6-year-old on a playground." Jonathan Gold's 60 Korean Dishes Every Angeleno Should Know.
- "Nelson once worked in the lumber business, which is perhaps why he uses an unusually democratic mix of oak, hickory and pecan wood." 5 Best Barbecue Joints in Los Angeles.
- "In the Washingtons' kitchen (in its current book form, at least), there are no political jabs, no contrived smiles for iPhone snapshots (ah, the glorious days of presidential portrait painting), nor does dinner with the president require a $35,800 campaign contribution." Best Election Year Cookbook: Dining With the Washingtons (or, Partying With the President).
- "'We don't dictate where the president goes. We just sit here and make his dinner.'" Q & A With Suzanne Goin: Chefs Move to Schools Fundraiser, Knocking on Ma Maison's Door + Obama's Secret Service Detail.
- "Extra points go to the rare Seussical child who names our personal favorite, the "certified strictly Grade-A peppermint cucumber sausage-paste butter," from the cake bakers in Happy Birthday to You." Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss: Green Egg Cookies for Larchmont Elementary + Recipe.
- "The décor is straight out of Captain Ahab's sea cabin: a ship's anchor above a door, knickknacks of the ocean tactfully strewn about, a plaque advertising Moby Dick beer (natch)." 5 Koreatown Beer Joints: Hite Requirement.
- "It's not as though I'm eating one fantastic meal after another, then sitting around thinking deep thoughts." Elina Shatkin's Exit Interview: Top 10 Questions for Food Writers.
- "L.A. is featured prominently on the modern end of that timeline, from that day in 1958 when Nguyen says Boys Market in L.A. became the first American supermarket to sell tofu to the L.A. Tofu Festival's debut in 1996 (it ran through 2007)." Cookbook of the Week: Asian Tofu by Andrea Nguyen Is a Keeper + Her Cashew Cardamom Fudge Recipe.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.