Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 2/13-2/17
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Bay Cities' mac is enough to give heartburn to an 8-year-old and good enough for him to know it's worth it." 9 Best Macaroni & Cheese Dishes in Los Angeles.
- "OK, it's not out just yet, but it's good to get advance warning for some things. (Obama traffic, windstorms, certain NBA point guards.)" Read This Now: Lucky Peach Issue 3.
- "Everything is bigger and flashier in Las Vegas, even the heart attacks." Heart Attack Grill Customer Has Heart Attack -- While Eating 6,000-Calorie Burger.
- "Yeah, we're considering swinging by our seafood market right now, too." Cookbook of the Week: Fish: Recipes From the Sea.
- "The neighborhood bar is a tough thing to define. Sometimes, it occupies the intersection of dive and sport. Sometimes, it's a lounge time has thankfully forgotten." 10 Best Neighborhood Bars in Los Angeles.
- "If you got hooked on the Trader Joe's Dutch version (as in: You kept a jar on your nightstand with a licked-clean spoon on standby), and went into withdrawals when the supply ran dry, we don't blame you for trying alternatives like the Lotus brand, which is sold at Cost Plus World Markets all over Southern California." Trader Joe's Cookie Butter, aka Speculoos, Is Back!
- "How it manages to pack in anywhere from four to seven (we counted) seeds per fruit and still have enough room for juice and pulp, we've no idea. This is a tree that really wants to propagate." What's In Season at the Farmers Markets: Meiwa and Nagami Kumquats.
- "Yes, Parmesan and Cabrales have more snob appeal, but the former gets grainy and the latter melts away completely by the time the bacon sizzles. (It's been tested!)" Bacon-Wrapped Dates: Still Looking for the Perfect Date + a Recipe.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.