Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 12/5-12/9
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "But the menu at Bäco Mercat, the new restaurant from Joseph Centeno of Lazy Ox, reads almost like a graduate exam in culinary poststructuralism, mixing flavors from Italy, France, and Western China, Georgia (U.S.) and Georgia (eastern Europe), Tuscany and Peru." Bäco Mercat: An Exam in Culinary Poststructuralism.
- "What the hell is a bánh mì these days?" Banh Mi at Spice Table: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 20).
- "That's about as thoughtful as giving a pastry chef some random cake decorating kit." Top 5 Gifts for Food Preservationists.
- "We all have a friend or two who is in dire need of being weaned from their Martha Stewart entertaining habits or persistent Rachael Ray cookie book fixes." Best 2011 Baking Books For Those In Need Of A Martha Stewart Detox.
- "Note: that's baked or broiled fish, not Filet-O-Fish." Study Links Eating Fish to Lower Alzheimer's Risk.
- "Cormac McCarthy gravely directs Southwestern Chili Con Carne with tin cans, dusty canteens, and wood fires?" Mark Crick's The Household Tips of Great Writers: Cooking à la Chaucer, Etc.
- "There is no shortage of fine California wine, and no way to drink or even taste it all before its time." 5 L.A. Restaurants with the Best Bargain California-centric Wine Lists.
- "I'm not sure halal-cart chicken or lamb exist here in that exact form -- they would have to be flavored with diesel fumes and taxi exhaust and eau de subway grate to make an exact match." Where To Go For L.A.'s Version Of NYC Halal Carts.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- David Asprey Wants You to Drink Coffee With Butter. Some Dismiss His Science (VIDEO)
- Little Shanghai's Dumplings Are the Only Constant at This Rowland Heights Food Court
- The Future of Seafood: Is Wild Catch Going Extinct?
- L.A. Weekly's Ultimate Burger Bracket, the Final 4 Revealed — Plus, Your Chance to...