Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 12/3 - 12/7
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Or, as Funke described it, 'Pork on pork on pork.'" Evan Funke Launches a Porchetta Truck: A Mobile Ode to Pork.
- "And, for you -- well, it doesn't get much easier than stopping in your local coffee shop to pick up the gift, where you probably go often enough anyway." Top 5 Coffee Gifts for the Home Barista.
- "This is a comfort-food driven cookbook with its roots firmly planted in the city where both men were born -- Ottolenghi in Jerusalem's Jewish western end, Tamimi on the Arab east side." Cookbook Of The Week: Jerusalem: A Cookbook + Yotam Ottolenghi's Baharat Recipe.
- "Drinking wine is not the sort of activity known to inspire scholarship." 6 Great Wine Books For the Holidays: Old Wine, New Books.
- "Like the rest of us, you'll have to slog through the crowds at the real mall, a land where Hot Dog on a Stick, Auntie Anne's and Cinnabon are your most prominent options." 10 Best Places for Mall Food in Los Angeles.
- "If you like Johnnie Walker, essentially, then this place is perfect for the scotch lover who is low on cash, but not on taste." Bar Report: Thai Town's Darabar Has a Scotch-Tastic Secret.
- "When it arrives at your table, Wolfgang Puck's iteration of veal tartare may look more like a Sally Mann photograph than your dinner." 1: Spago's Veal Filet Mignon Tartare.
- "These days, even while living amongst the country's most wondrous sea of banh mi, tortas, and gua bao -- all of which can be had at scandalous bargain -- that deep, intrinsic craving for a dirt cheap, no-frills hoagie returns every so often." 6 Tasty Cold-Cut Subs Under $5 (Take That Subway!).
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.