In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "I am imagining six years as an ABD in Dumpling Science, and my fear smells a lot like goose noodle soup. Or is that what's simmering downstairs on the stove?" The World in Dumplings: Or, Not Living By XLB Alone.
- "Very sad news: One of Los Angeles' best known and most loved neighborhood restaurants is going out of business." Evan Kleiman's Angeli Caffe to Close.
- "Why is it called Blowfish? And why can't you just chug some espresso with a few actual aspirin? Ah, the mysteries of advertising." Blowfish: FDA Approves Hangover Cure (No It's Not Fugu).
- "The flavors at this shop come in vibrant candyish hues, sporting names that sound like particularly festive planets in the Star Wars universe. Rajbhog? Chikoo?" 10 Best Ice Cream & Gelato Shops in L.A.
- "Like National Coffee Day, summing up the Year in Coffee compels a certain knee-jerk response: every year is the year in coffee." The Year in Coffee: The Revolution Will Be Caffeinated.
- "That last dish he devoured, declared it the least appetizing thing he had ever eaten, politely asked if we were eating ours, and proceeded to eat that too." Q & A With Survivor Coach Benjamin Wade: The Survivor Diet, Eating Termites + $320 Chicken Parmesan.
- "Over the past few years, sales of mass-produced beer (Bud, Miller, Coors and the like) are down along with housing, investments and other barometers of economic growth. Guess what is not down? Craft breweries." Top Hops: Best 5 New Craft Beer Bars of 2011.
- "And don't forget that "refugiado" strudel, the Porto family's homage to Cuban guava marmalade and to their new cream cheese strudel-filled life in Southern California." 10 Best Pastry Shops In L.A.