Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 12/19-12/23
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "When properly cooked, its texture becomes less like rice than a kind of fluffy, chewy couscous, brilliant at absorbing flavors from dribbles of fish sauce and random splashes of oil." Night of the Broken Rice at Com Tam Thuan Kieu.
- "You may have noticed beneath that smoky (wood-burning oven?) haze, L.A. has a new whole grain baguette, flaky croissant (even at LAX) and yes, crusty sourdough advantage." 10 Best Bakeries in Los Angeles.
- "And it's more extensive than anything I came across in a recent tour of the Yucatán peninsula." Chichén Itzá's New Cookbook + a Recipe for Sopa de Lima.
- "Your gift must be something he can use, something that appeals to his worldly sensibilities, something that says, 'I know but I won't tell, even if they waterboard me.'" A Christmas List for George Smiley: 5 Food Gadgets for Secret Agents.
- "Other fascinating revelations about our food-related search engine habits: everyone in the world was constantly on the hunt for pizza, and Canadians sure do love making pork tenderloins." Cupcakes Continue World Domination and Other Lessons from Google's 2011 Zeitgeist.
- "It's everything: meaty, carby, melty, bready and incredibly satisfying." Baco Mercat: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 31) BONUS!
- "'It is cured by hanging in a smoke filled cabin or some sort of an isolated compartment for months.'" Hangikjöt: Boiled Smoked Mutton + What to Serve for Christmas Dinner if You're Icelandic or Love Icelandic Murder Mysteries As Much As We Do.
- "Now, thanks to a recent surge of brave coffee geeks-turned-entrepreneurs, you need both hands to tick off all the stellar shops in the city, and maybe that isn't quite enough." 10 Best Coffee Shops in Los Angeles.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.