In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
- "When properly cooked, its texture becomes less like rice than a kind of fluffy, chewy couscous, brilliant at absorbing flavors from dribbles of fish sauce and random splashes of oil." Night of the Broken Rice at Com Tam Thuan Kieu.
- "You may have noticed beneath that smoky (wood-burning oven?) haze, L.A. has a new whole grain baguette, flaky croissant (even at LAX) and yes, crusty sourdough advantage." 10 Best Bakeries in Los Angeles.
- "And it's more extensive than anything I came across in a recent tour of the Yucatán peninsula." Chichén Itzá's New Cookbook + a Recipe for Sopa de Lima.
- "Your gift must be something he can use, something that appeals to his worldly sensibilities, something that says, 'I know but I won't tell, even if they waterboard me.'" A Christmas List for George Smiley: 5 Food Gadgets for Secret Agents.
- "Other fascinating revelations about our food-related search engine habits: everyone in the world was constantly on the hunt for pizza, and Canadians sure do love making pork tenderloins." Cupcakes Continue World Domination and Other Lessons from Google's 2011 Zeitgeist.
- "It's everything: meaty, carby, melty, bready and incredibly satisfying." Baco Mercat: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 31) BONUS!
- "'It is cured by hanging in a smoke filled cabin or some sort of an isolated compartment for months.'" Hangikjöt: Boiled Smoked Mutton + What to Serve for Christmas Dinner if You're Icelandic or Love Icelandic Murder Mysteries As Much As We Do.
- "Now, thanks to a recent surge of brave coffee geeks-turned-entrepreneurs, you need both hands to tick off all the stellar shops in the city, and maybe that isn't quite enough." 10 Best Coffee Shops in Los Angeles.