Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 12/12-12/16
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "The invasion of the small plates is not finished, oh no. It is marching down our streets and avenues, invading our towns and villages, leaving behind nothing in its wake but duck-slider crumbs, remnants of Fiscalini bandaged cheddar and sticky drops of California sauvignon blanc." The Vol. 94: McSweetbreads + The Invasion of the Small Plates.
- "William Blake said, "The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom." Blake should have eaten here." 10 Best Burgers in Los Angeles.
- "Restaurant critic Jonathan Gold vanishes for a solid month after one such dinner; he is later found wandering through Joshua Tree muttering incoherently about truffle-infused pork belly." 10 Food Predictions for 2012.
- "Muskrat is disgusting. That's all I can say on the subject." Q & A with Emily Ansara Baines: The Unofficial Hunger Games Cookbook, T.C. Boyle and Foraging Skills, Sourcing Squirrel in L.A. + What Muskrat Tastes Like.
- "But it's also subversively fun to be out when most of the world seems tucked away, kind of like teenagers sneaking out in the middle of the night." Where To Eat Out on Christmas in Los Angeles: 5 Categories, 25 Ways to Eat Out on the Holiday.
- "Shouldn't the fact that a New Jersey Housewife is now part owner of a Hollywood restaurant teach us we should leave culinary arts to professionals?" Rachael v. Guy Celebrity Cook-Off: Pitting Celebrity Non-Chefs Against Each Other to See Who Sucks the Least.
- "Take a picture of that kazunoko (herring roe). Translate "thank you very much" and "may I please have some more" into Japanese on the Translator app." Safe Sushi App: Finally, A Good Reason to Use Your iPhone at the Omakase Bar.
- "If you want to impress a potential employer or a seduce new lover, if you like to look graceful when eating, this is the wrong sandwich." Daily Dose: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 26).
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.