Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 11/7-11/11
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "In true Bourdain fashion, he gave us an straight answer. 'You know, I don't really care.'" Anthony Bourdain on The Layover, L.A. and Jonathan Gold.
- "The first thing you need to know about Attari Sandwich Shop is that although the address is on Westwood Boulevard, the entrance is actually around the corner on Wilkins, somewhat hidden by a patio with fountains and statuary. The second thing is that there are no arcade games of Pac-Man or Asteroids." Attari Sandwich Shop: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 5).
- "For the coffee lovers in the city, Handsome Coffee Roasters presents an early holiday gift: a December opening date." Handsome Coffee Roasters Opening in December.
- "People really liked Homer saying, 'Guess what? My kids don't eat pine needle sorbet. They eat sherbet and pronounce it sherbert and wish it were ice cream.'" Q & A With Simpsons Exec Producer Matt Selman: The Food Wife, Food Blogging + Dining at Jitlada With Matt Groening.
- "He has flown in dry, pre-made patties of Australian Waygu. He has bounced checks left and right. Even worse, he has, it seems, instructed his cooks not to add salt to the restaurant's burgers." Burger Kitchen on Kitchen Nightmares: A Family in the Grinder.
- "Happy eating. Maybe pace yourself." Jonathan Gold's 99 Essential L.A. Restaurants 2011: The Google Map + Start Your Engines (Literally) and Appetites.
- "'What is this? Suppose a fly passes by?' 'You go like this!' [Waves hand in swatting gesture.] So we put tables outside and then they would send the police or somebody." Q & A with Ambrose and Guy Pasquini: L.A.'s Single Espresso Origin.
- "The restaurant won't allow you to order the 10 until you swear you've previously experienced their level 5, which carries a decent level of heat from black and red pepper." Japanese Curry House CoCo Ichibanya Opens in Rowland Heights.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.