Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 11/14-11/18
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "At the end of 2011, the year that the gastropub finally wrestled formal dining into a bathtub to drown, we pretty much know what a good, new restaurant is going to look like." Cooks County: A Perfect First-date Restaurant?
- "Short Order, the most anticipated burger restaurant since the dawn of time, will finally open tonight at 5 p.m." Short Order Opens + Here's The Menu.
- "The best bit is at around 2:12, when Shatner, engulfed in seriously unrealistic flames, howls dispassionately and stamps at burning streams of oil coursing around his fryer." William Shatner Sells Caution (When Deep-Frying Turkeys).
- "Do you love food? Do you love Jonathan Gold? Do you run a gorgeous food-and-photography blog? Do you really, really love Excel?" Jonathan Gold's 99 Restaurants, The Spreadsheet: Imagine Michelin + Microsoft.
- "Damn you, Disney, and your carpet-bombing Marketing Department!" Muppets Cake Pops!
- "And yes, the butter in all the pastries is from Normandy, in case such things matter to you, and they should." Now Open: Maison Giraud in the Pacific Palisades + Your Pain au Chocolat Update.
- "Pizza usually flies solo, content with committing crimes against calories all by its lonesome." Garlic Knots Food Fight: Pizzanista! vs. Joe's Pizza.
- "Anyone can drink it? Like children? And what makes you think socialites and construction workers are on opposite ends of anything?" Alcohol-Free Whisky Debuts.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.