Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 10/29 - 11/2
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "You were expecting maybe Jeff Koons and a chocolate fountain? No." Michael McCarty Updates Michael's Restaurant: Bar Food + Drinking With Dennis Hopper.
- "Thanks to C&H, sugar cane will always be associated with a Hawaiian hibiscus flower in full bloom." What's In Season at the Farmers Market: Autumn Sugar Cane.
- "In L.A. we found that the pecan sticky bun is almost always an even better choice than the cinnamon roll, if such a thing is possible." 10 Best Pecan Sticky Buns in Los Angeles.
- "It is very rare that a dessert can alter the course of an entire meal, making you forget, say, a dry piece of lamb shoulder." 24: Coconut Bavarois at Red Medicine.
- "So we all went together and I was really shocked, because the only kind of food we were served in Turkey at our embassy was fast food. So I felt like the Turks were going to feel like, 'Really, that's all you guys eat?'" Q & A With Mary Sue Milliken: The Diplomatic Culinary Partnership, Prop 37 + a New Chef at Border Grill.
- "But at its best, the show completely sidestepped all the crap and got to the heart of a huge number of the world's cities and countries." Anthony Bourdain's Top 10 No Reservations Episodes.
- "The son of a reform rabbi, Front, who previously worked in the film industry, says he had an epiphany 'at a place where good things always happen to Jews. A Chinese restaurant.'" Comic Seth Front: Using Deli Foods To Explore Jewish American History One Nosh At A Time.
- "Some people might prefer haunted houses or costume parties this time of year, but for a certain subset of foodies, this dinner could be seen as a grown-up version of being blind-folded and sticking your hands inside bags of cooked spaghetti (witch's hair) and peeled grapes (eyeballs)." Test Kitchen's Spooky Offal Night: Lamb Hearts, Blood Pasta + Chocolate Salumi.
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...