Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 10/29 - 11/2
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "You were expecting maybe Jeff Koons and a chocolate fountain? No." Michael McCarty Updates Michael's Restaurant: Bar Food + Drinking With Dennis Hopper.
- "Thanks to C&H, sugar cane will always be associated with a Hawaiian hibiscus flower in full bloom." What's In Season at the Farmers Market: Autumn Sugar Cane.
- "In L.A. we found that the pecan sticky bun is almost always an even better choice than the cinnamon roll, if such a thing is possible." 10 Best Pecan Sticky Buns in Los Angeles.
- "It is very rare that a dessert can alter the course of an entire meal, making you forget, say, a dry piece of lamb shoulder." 24: Coconut Bavarois at Red Medicine.
- "So we all went together and I was really shocked, because the only kind of food we were served in Turkey at our embassy was fast food. So I felt like the Turks were going to feel like, 'Really, that's all you guys eat?'" Q & A With Mary Sue Milliken: The Diplomatic Culinary Partnership, Prop 37 + a New Chef at Border Grill.
- "But at its best, the show completely sidestepped all the crap and got to the heart of a huge number of the world's cities and countries." Anthony Bourdain's Top 10 No Reservations Episodes.
- "The son of a reform rabbi, Front, who previously worked in the film industry, says he had an epiphany 'at a place where good things always happen to Jews. A Chinese restaurant.'" Comic Seth Front: Using Deli Foods To Explore Jewish American History One Nosh At A Time.
- "Some people might prefer haunted houses or costume parties this time of year, but for a certain subset of foodies, this dinner could be seen as a grown-up version of being blind-folded and sticking your hands inside bags of cooked spaghetti (witch's hair) and peeled grapes (eyeballs)." Test Kitchen's Spooky Offal Night: Lamb Hearts, Blood Pasta + Chocolate Salumi.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.