Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 10/22 - 10/26
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "We're kind of worried that the folks at the big box store know something we don't, as the new seasonal catalogue has some sobering emergency food options." 6 Things on Sale at Costco.com: Your Holiday Dinner Party, My Apocalypse.
- "When Quo Vadis chef Jeremy Lee visited me from London in 1999, one meal at Campanile turned into lunch and dinner for every service for a week." An Elegy for Campanile.
- "The teams are competing for a $10,000 prize purse and bragging rights, so the eating public rightfully should ask what's in it for them." BBQ Contest at Santa Anita Racetrack TOMORROW!
- "The history of the San Francisco-Los Angeles rivalry is well-documented in many fields, whether it's the Giants and Dodgers contesting the NL West (we're all aware of how that turned out this season) or a frank debate on which city offers the biggest and best representation of West Coast cuisine." Men Oh Tokushima Ramen: Chashu, Pork Belly + A Ramen Video!
- "But at $140, Modernist Cuisine at Home reads like a bargain compared to its $625 predecessor. At least if you're a techie geek." Cookbook Of The Week (For Nitrous Oxide Fans): Modernist Cuisine at Home.
- "And apparently, this year, everyone has decided that everything in the world should be pumpkin-flavored." The Pumpkin-ification of Everything: McDonalds Jumps on the Bandwagon With a Pumpkin Shake.
- "Los Angeles' burger boom, in many ways, owes much to this humble onion-scented lunchroom, a place that stands out among the development along Pico Blvd. like Carl Fredricksen's house in Up." 27: The Hickoryburger at Apple Pan.
- "'I hate the idea that cooking should be a celebration or a party,' Christopher Kimball said in last weekend's New York Times Magazine." Read This Now: The New York Times' Profile of Christopher Kimball.
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...