Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 10/17 - 10/23
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "A truly great dive bar is like a successful horror movie: it's a little gross, maybe a bit scary, but always a fun adventure, and filled with an eclectic cast of characters." 5 Great LA Dive Bars: From the Lost & Found to the Wild Goose.
- "My hope had been for the Dodgers to crush the Phillies, then to write a piece about a cheesesteak battle, offering locals the opportunity to consume the symbolic heart of Philadelphia, metaphorically finishing them off with a few voracious bites." Squid Ink Food Fight: Dodger Rally Cry, Philly Cheesesteak Battle.
- "Animal and Golden State are great, but basically serve boy food - you'd be surrendering before you even walked out of the house." Ask Mr. Gold: Where Can A Girl With Attitude (& A Dog) Take A Guy On A First Date?
- "Do not walk into a bar and immediately ask for the owner because they're, 'your friend'. Especially when you get your 'friend's' name wrong." Just Don't Do It: Bar Etiquette 101.
- "Sure, you can get your leftover food twisted up into aluminum swans at Gladstone's, but that's mostly because you didn't want to eat it in the first place." Best Beachfront Dining: Piccolo in Venice.
- "Which is why, dear readers, we decided to put together another kind of Top 10 list: one for the people, by the people, based on reader comments." Top 10: Readers' Picks of Late Night Dining Restaurants.
- "I love it out here, but it's easy to come back to LA--especially after watching five minutes of baseball." Jason Travi Will Be Coming Home To Cook, But Not At Fraîche. Either One of Them.
- "Cassoulet is a signature dish of southwest France, in which Tarbais beans and duck confit and sausages are transformed by slow cooking and French alchemy into a sublime dish that bears about as much resemblance to casserole as, well, an art student's earnest sketches bear to all that stuff cluttering up the Louvre." Cassoulet Nights at Bistro LQ: The Southwest of France, on Beverly.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.