Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 1/9-1/13
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "You probably should get a "garlic knot," which here is a hollow sphere of pizza dough, tied at the top with string and stuffed with a handful of baked garlic cloves -- it's the new-new thing, the first worthy food-fetish object of the new year. I want one right now!" Milo and Olive: 3rd Wave Pizza + Empire-building in Santa Monica.
- "Gill soon became Dale's disciple and Oskar Blues' west coast ambassador, preaching the gospel of canned beer to the unwashed masses from the top of a recreational vehicle." Golden Road Brewing Introduces Craft Beer Cans to L.A. County.
- "Behind every great taco, there's an even greater burrito." 9 Best Burritos in Los Angeles.
- "Although there is something to be said for having your own tiny chemistry lab in plastic wrap." Maker of Twinkies to File for Chapter 11: More Food News for Hoarders.
- "Since we're fairly certain that Chipotle doesn't offer heroin as an optional topping (we'll have to double-check at Freebirds), there seems little doubt that this crime represents another chapter in the burrito's dubious history as smuggling device." Hey, Where'd You Get That Heroin Burrito?
- "It's the sort of cookbook that causes you to reconsider your favorite chocolate mousse recipe. And not because that bittersweet version on p. 186 is so revolutionary." Cookbook Of The Week: Cooking With Chocolate When You Need A Serious Fix.
- "Carousel is especially good for birthday parties and such -- you get a fairly enormous fixed spread of mezze for about $23.50 a head, you can bring your own wine (there is no alcohol license), and you can bring your own cake if you're into that sort of thing." Carousel: The Joy of Mezze, With or Without Belly Dancing.
- "Lenzo looked around at the standing room only crowd and seemed touched. "One day you're happy as hell... the next you're heartbroken." Los Angeles Beer Fans Rally for Blue Palms Brewhouse.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- A New Wave of L.A. Social Enterprises Serve Pizza and Coffee With Community in Mind
- SCI-Arc's Adorable Campus Cafe Is No College Cafeteria (And It's Open to the Public)
- In a City With Few Meat CSAs, Could This Box Be the Future of Grass-Fed Beef?
- Chef Phillip Frankland Lee's 10 Favorite San Fernando Valley Restaurants