Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 1/3-1/6
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Let me get this straight: You're in Los Angeles, the single greatest eating city in the world, and what you're craving is a writhing mass of greasy, no doubt previously frozen fries in the style of a town whose most redeeming feature is its proximity to Moundville?" In Search of Curly Fries, Like They Have in Missouri.
- "'No applause. Just throw money.'" Evan Kleiman's Farewell Tour + Angeli's Last Days Extended.
- "If you're successful, go off to dream your foie gras cupcake dreams. If you are not, start tweeting Krissy offers of free babysitting." LudoBites 8: Starting This Month at Lemon Moon + Lottery Reservations.
- "We waited and watched as each successive customer bought the same thing -- five in a row -- one big bag full of the tiny but powerful fruit." What's In Season at the Farmers Markets: Seedless Kishu Mandarin.
- "You may have done some amazing holiday baking recently, but we're pretty sure you made nothing as gnarly and awesome as this sinister pig sculpted from 10 kilos of marzipan." An Evil Piggie Made of Marzipan: Or, Candy-making With Norwegians.
- "Fun side note: Wade may not have won the million dollar prize and title of Sole Survivor, but he does know how to make a thrifty dish." More with Survivor Coach Benjamin Wade + His Peshwar Beef Recipe.
- "Yes, that's correct. Quick's new burgers are Star Wars-themed: The Dark Maul Burger, the Jedi Burger, and the Dark Vador Burger." Quick's Star Wars-Themed Burgers: More Fun With European Cuisine.
- "Once open, a visit to Handsome Coffee will be a factory tour of sorts: a 13-foot glass and metal wall separating the roastery and coffee bar will give you ample view to drink up all the action." Handsome Coffee Roasters Officially Opening Next Month.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.