Short Attention Span Dinner Theater: Your Week in Food, 1/17-1/20
In which we highlight the past week in food, either at home or abroad.
- "Ike-san was never a flashy sushi chef, but he was beloved for his skill at the early-morning fish markets, and his ability to less cut fish than to coax it into its ideal form." Sushi Kimagure Ike: Pasadena's Best Sushi Bar Ever?
- "Next comes the best part: deep-frying!" 5 Paula Deen Desserts Not to Try if You're Diabetic: Or, Adventures in Schaden-fried.
- "And at Pee-Wee Herman's playhouse, it's pancakes, eggs, bacon, and Mr. T's cereal via a nifty Rube Goldberg breakfast machine that involves no less than a few whirling fans, a life-sized model of Abraham Lincoln doubling as flapjack flipper, and a toy skeleton pterodactyl swooping down to drop bread off into the toaster." 10 Best Breakfast Spots in Los Angeles.
- "In discussing this difference in frequency, sushi is the first casualty." L.A.'s Idea of Japanese Food vs. What Japanese Really Eat.
- "The Selma, a slightly bumpy, pink-fleshed variety, has the distinction of being one of the more prized cherimoyas for flavor while also being the most annoying to eat." What's In Season at the Farmers Markets: Cherimoya from Rancho Santa Cecilia + a Cherimoya Primer.
- "Yes, we chose our Cookbook of the Week, Mighty Spice: Fast, Fresh and Vibrant Dishes Using No More than 5 Spices for Each Recipe, in part for the publisher's legal disclaimer." Cookbook Of The Week: Mighty Spice + That Mighty Big (Recipe) Legal Disclaimer.
- "It usually starts innocently enough with a rundown of what ingredients absolutely should not be included." 7 Best Bloody Marys In L.A.
- "It's that time of year again." The Gold Standard 2012: Save The Date, Start Fasting.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...