IKEA Serves Up Midsummer Smorgasbord Friday
In Sweden, Norway and Finland, "Midsommar" -- celebrated the weekend closest to June 24 -- is an especially important holiday that's steeped in tradition and rivals Christmas in popularity. It marks the start of the summer season and celebrates joy and romance with maypole dancing, girls wearing bright floral wreaths, and all that other gay stuff.
But you don't need to buy a plane ticket to Stockholm or Oslo to get in on the festivities. To hail Midsummer (er, a week early), IKEA cafes across the country will be offering an all-you-can-eat Swedish buffet on Friday, June 15. Tickets are $2.49 for kids under 12 and $9.99 for adults. Seating is limited, so hurry in to pick up your tickets; hours vary by store. Turn the page for the menu.
Here's the menu*:
- Assorted varieties of herring
- Hard-boiled eggs with shrimp
- Gravad lax with mustard sauce
- Smoked salmon with horseradish sauce
- Whole poached salmon
- Tossed green salad
- Cucumber salad
- Rhode Island salad
- Midsummer fruit salad
- Assorted Swedish cheeses
- Boiled dill potatoes
- Meatballs with lingonberries
- Swedish ham (served cold) with mustard
- Prinskorv sausage (sautéed)
- Crispbread, thin bread, dinner rolls
- Ice cream
- Assorted desserts
- Coffee, tea, fountain beverages
*Umlauts not included.
That is not a bad deal if picking up a sheepskin throw leaves you famished. We plan to IKEA-hop across L.A. on Friday,
stalking looking for Alexander Skarsgård.
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook, and follow Samantha Bonar at @samanthabonar.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...