Happy National S'mores Day: Top 6 Local S'mores
Al Merion Padron
S'mores are a simple backyard pleasure (particularly during relatively cool, campfire-suited summers such as this one) so we're pleased to have another excuse to get our marshmallow toast on today in celebration of National S'mores Day. Where to go to find your fix? If you find our photo particularly mouthwatering,
you're out of luck, as BakeLab is currently sold out of Summer S'mores, head to BakeLab, which sells these treats, and occasionally even teaches you how to make them, (the upcoming s'more classes are full, but keep an eye out for more in their schedule of baking classes) then turn the page for a list of 6 others, in no particular order, to try.
1. Luna Park S'mores: This spot features a "Make Your Own S'mores" option in which they bring you the goods, including house-made Graham Cookies, and the rest is up to you.
2. Gyu-Gaku S'mores: This dessert is more like a s'more kabob; skewer graham crackers, jet-puffed large marshmallows and Hershey's chocolate chunks and grill over an open flame.
3. The Munchie Machine: This food truck adds a flavorful twist to the average s'more by offering a choice of coconut, cinnamon or caramel marshmallow.
4. Gotta Have Smore: This online shop makes custom s'mores as well as the more cupcake-like "S'Muffins," a variety pack of which includes such flavors as Milk Chocolate, Caramel, Dark Chocolate, Cookies 'n Crème, Crème de Menthe, Peanut Butter, Chocolate Ganache, Chocolate with Caramel, Chocolate with Peanut Butter, Almond Joy and more.
5. Ludo Bites 5.0: For his latest stint at Gram & Papa's, Chef Lefebvre has included "Campfire Smoked S'mores" on his dessert menu with the unexpected guacamole sorbet à la mode. Sound strange? Jonathan Gold says, "In Indonesia they're known to make avocado smoothies, or Es Alpukat, with hints of chocolate, so the idea is not without precedent."
6. Take A Bao: Here, the s'more goes dumpling. The "Bao S'more" consists of fudge, marshmallow and Graham cracker in a chocolate bao bun.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.