Good Food Pie Contest: Photo Gallery
220 pies were submitted in yesterday's Good Food Pie Contest, and how many of them did event host and fairy godmother Evan Kleiman sample? Not a single one. The pie perfectionist explained that just that week she had baked what might be her best apple pie ever -- and had spent the rest of the week eating it. All pie'd out and a pie festival to host.
That doesn't mean the judges, including our own Jonathan Gold, didn't do their duty. They sampled pie after pie after pie, some innovative, some classic and some stomach-churning. In the end, it was a traditional pie, the most traditional pie, that won the day.
Best In Show went to Stephanie Shaikin, who bakes under the name Crust by Stephanie Jayne, for her Classic Apple Pie. When asked what set her pie apart, she offered this advice to all pie-oneers: "I use shortening and butter in my crust. I LOVE crust. That's the most important thing to me."
[Photo gallery and full list of winners after the jump.]
BEST IN SHOW
Stephanie Shaiken - Classic Apple Pie
1. Stephanie Shaiken - Classic Apple Pie
2. Sam Robinson - Peach Blueberry Crumble
3. Jessica Kubel - Apple Cranberry
1. Stuart Faber - Pecan Pie
2. Kristin Anderson - unknown
3. Claudia Guevara - Pecan Pie
1. Sandra Nuzzolilo - Banana Cream Pie
2. Morgan Simons - Banana Nutella Cream Pie
3. Linnea Weaver - Cream Cheese Pie
1. Terry Sweeney - Persian Tart
2. Jennifer Wang - unknown
3. Marla Cusack - Zucchini Pecorino Pie
1. Emily Baker - "James and the Giant Peach" Pie
2. Bobbie Chi - Blueberry Pie
3. Gretchen Getz - Chocolate Chess Pie
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.
More RESTAURANTS News
- Trattoria Napolis to Close, French Laundry Wine Recovered: This Week in Food
- Celebrate Australia Day in L.A. With Pies, Lamingtons, Fairy Bread and a Flat White
- L.A. Most Authentic Singaporean Dishes and Drinks Are at QQ Kopitiam in Pasadena
- On Its Fifth Anniversary, Here's What's Defining the L.A. Beer Scene