Frugal Festival Food!: Free Food, "Extreme Couponing" and Lots of Goods up for Grabs
This shopper just saved a whole lot of money. You can too.
Photo via Extreme Couponing.
If you've been obsessed with TLC's new show Extreme Couponing (raises hand), or if you just happen to get a rush from finding deals on the cheap, the Frugal Festival Food! is exactly where you want to be this Saturday, June 25.
No, we didn't say that backwards. There are other Frugal Festivals -- the Summer Swap, for example -- but this particular gathering is set up to teach consumers how to save money on grocery shopping, dining out, and home cooking. Here's what's on the agenda:
- A food swap, in which participants essentially add a little and take a little from a huge pool of packaged homemade dishes.
- A food preservation demonstration led by Albertsons food specialist Heidi Diller.
- Lessons on how to use a solar oven.
- A "Coupon Challenge" in which guests compete to find the best bargains. (There's little information on this one, but we're by far the most excited about it.)
Admission is $10 and available through Goldstar only. You get a $5 discount when you bring a canned good donation for the LA food bank, and $1 from each ticket sold will be donated to the food bank as well. You also get a free raffle ticket upon entry with prize packages available from Pyrex and Starbucks, with the grand prize being a $300 gift certificate to Albertsons. There are even free swag bags for the first 500 entrants. Considering this is an event about cutting costs, it's a pretty swanky party.
Frugal Festival Food!: Saturday, June 25th from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Canoga Park High School.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...