Playboy's nightlife and liquor columnist Dan "The Imbiber" Dunn's new book, Living Loaded: Tales of Sex, Salvation and the Pursuit of the Never-Ending Happy Hour, isn't just a biographical account of his debaucherous adventures with a heavy focus on drinking but also a how-to book, whether that be How To Beat Hangovers (Rule #3 "Retox"), How To Date Out of Your League (Rule #2 "Be willfully oblivious to your ordinariness") or how to make cocktails.
Naturally what caught our attention was the original cocktail recipes by some of L.A.'s top bartenders which introduce every chapter. Since Dunn is an Angeleno and well-known in L.A. drinking circles, he has the likes of Vincenzo Marianella of Copa d'Oro and Steve Livigni of La Descarga on his speed dial. So, the author was able to convince them to create cocktails to be "paired" with each corresponding chapter.
By Vincenzo Marianella for Living Loaded: Tales of Sex, Salvation and the Pursuit of the Never-Ending Happy Hour by Dan Dunn.
Makes: 1 drink
2 ounces Oxley Gin
1/2 ounce Amaro Nonino
1/2 ounce Aperol
A dash of Jerry Thomas Truth Bitter
1. Add all ingredients to a mixing glass over ice and stir until cold.
2. Strain into a chilled rocks glass over two ice cubes.
3. Release the essential oil of two grapefruit peels on top of the glass.
Lost in Oaxaca
By Steve Livigni for Living Loaded: Tales of Sex, Salvation and the Pursuit of the Never-Ending Happy Hour by Dan Dunn.
Makes: 1 drink
2 ounces Del Maguey "Santo Domingo Albarradas" Mezcal
.5 ounce Lemon Juice (fresh)
.5 ounce Lime Juice (fresh)
1 ounce Egg white
2 bar spoons of superfine sugar
1. Add all ingredients into a cocktail shaker and dry shake (no ice) with a thin slice of Jalapeno pepper. Once you get a nice froth let the contents rest.
2. Add ice (preferably one big cube) and shake lightly until the shaker is too cold to handle.
If you like this story, consider signing up for our email newsletters.
SHOW ME HOW
You have successfully signed up for your selected newsletter(s) - please keep an eye on your mailbox, we're movin' in!
3. Add one big cube into a double old-fashioned glass (9 oz. is a nice fit)
4. Strain the contents slowly into the glass.
5. Garnish with a very thin slice of Jalapeno (no seeds) and 6 drops of Miracle Mile Bitters Co. Chocolate/Chili Bitters.
Dunn will be signing copies of his new book at Book Soup in West Hollywood on February 8, the book's release date, at 7 p.m. Those who wish to party with the author are invited to attend the afterparty at Baby Blues BBQ, in which Dunn is a partner, on Santa Monica Boulevard starting at 9 p.m. All you need to get in is to flash a copy of Living Loaded.