CicLAvia: Bike, Eat, Repeat + En Route Establishments and Food Truck Finishes
The fourth CicLAvia bike event opens the streets of downtown L.A. to non-motorists this Sunday, April 15. Originating in Bogota, Columbia, in 1974, the South American event now reserves a whopping 75 miles of street for cyclists and pedestrians. Here at home, we'll see a 10 mile web with 5 branches (there's no designated 'start' or 'finish' point) conspicuously absent of the usual bumper-to-bumper occupants.
As anyone who has graduated from Huffy's and handlebar streamers knows, eating properly can make or break a bike ride. Over 25 food trucks will be dispersed between each of five hubs throughout the day, in addition to many of your favorite downtown establishments. But beware: Many restaurants and bars that bustle on weeknights close their doors Sunday.
Take a look at some of the following highlights, where we'll be giving our saddles a rest. Arrive early. By 3 p.m. the event will end and the city streets will ebb back to their original purpose. Don't have a proclivity to pedal? Grab a skateboard or rollerblades, or just walk the central vein on Spring Street. Consider a different kind of city, where the only "fuel" you purchase is between buns or nestled in a corn husk.
Nom Nom Food Truck
Notable Food Trucks:
- Coolhaus (City Hall Hub)
- Crepe'n Around (MacArthur Hub)
- Yalla (Hollenbeck Hub)
- Nom Nom Truck (City Hall Hub)
Spring for Coffee
- Cafecito Organico Delicious, sustainable coffee without the pretension. The perfect wake up if you're starting from Hollywood or Echo Park.
- Spring For Coffee A deeply refined cup of coffee, crafted with care, fit for such an occasion.
- Urth Caffe This may be the hippest instantiation of the popular chain. And that jittery feeling? It's the caffeine; or the feeling of inadequacy next to cooler patrons.
Sweet and Savory Pies
The Pie Hole
- Mama's Hot Tamales (opens at 10 a.m.) Try an award-winning guava and cheese tamale by MacArthur Park.
- The Pie Hole (opens at 11 a.m.) The Mexican chocolate pie should not be missed, but will run out by the end of the day.
- Spring Street Smoke House (all day event) Barbecue and beer will accompany live bands with proceeds going to three organizations including Ciclavia.
- Spring Street Bar (opens at 12 p.m.) Thirst-quenching craft beers at the heart of the event, try a Craftsmen 1903 Lager.
- Wurstküche (opens at 11 a.m.) A Maibock and a rattlesnake and rabbit sausage may be the perfect end to the day. On your bike were you predator or prey?
- Little Bear (opens at 11 a.m.) Drink like a monk and enjoy a heady Trappist ale.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.