Banh Mi at Spice Table: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 20)
What the hell is a bánh mì these days? The sandwich, derived from the Vietnamese term for bread, was once a cheap, quick, portable fix. Now, every upscale sandwich shop worth its weight in double-smoked bacon and housemade aioli is throwing cold cuts and chopped cilantro on a baguette and anointing it a bánh mì. Even the lexical arbiters jumped on the bandwagon when they added the term (sans accents) to the Oxford English Dictionary in March of this year. The Spice Table makes a highbrow bánh mì that's worthy of the name.
In the evening, Spice Table is all laksa and marrow bones, a Southeast Asian bistro that "seems to gather half the strands of contemporary cooking into a single, weathered-brick restaurant." In the daytime, it's a casual lunch spot, where patrons tuck themselves into sunny patio tables after ordering at the counter: rice bowls of curry chicken or ground pork, a cheeseburger or, most likely, one of the four light, clean bánh mì on offer ($7-9).
The fried catfish sandwich with a hint of sweetness, a crust as crisp as it has to be and a potent though not overpowering piscine flavor, is a hit, but the cold cut bánh mì is the classic choice. Smeared with a mellow pâté and piled with thin, cool layers of housemade charcuterie (that word sounds better than head cheese, doesn't it?), it's wrapped in airy, chewy French bread. It's not the inexpensive but garden variety bánh mì you'll find throughout Orange County or the San Gabriel Valley, but for downtown L.A., it's an ideal lunch.
- Day 19: Wako Donkasu
- Day 18: Angeli Caffe
- Day 17: ink.sack
- Day 16: Luca's Fresh Bites
- Day 15: PBJ at Joan's on Third
- Day 14: Larder at Maple Drive
- Day 13: Locali
- Day 12: Langer's vs. Oinkster
- Day 11: The Hat vs. Johnnie's Pastrami
- Day 10: Open-Faced Turkey Sandwich at Pann's
- Day 9: Po'boys at The Gumbo Pot
- Day 8: Waffle Sandwich at Shaky Alibi
- Day 7: Kobb Salad Sandwich at Kokomo
- Day 6: Sotto's Porcetto Sandwich
- Day 5: Attari Sandwich Shop
- Day 4: Godmother Sub at Bay Cities Deli
- Day 3: Shaved Turkey Sandwich at True Food Kitchen
- Day 2: Porchetta at Mozza2Go
- Day 1: Cole's vs. Philippe's
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.