Attari Sandwich Shop: 30 Sandwiches in 30 Days (Day 5)
The first thing you need to know about Attari Sandwich Shop is that although the address is on Westwood Boulevard, the entrance is actually around the corner on Wilkins, somewhat hidden by a patio with fountains and statuary. The second thing is that there are no arcade games of Pac-Man or Asteroids. There is, however, a menu with a gaggle of Persian sandwiches, from basics like sausages (sosee) and kebabs of minced meat (koobideh) to less common offerings like brain and beef tongue.
The most famous sandwich here is the beef tongue, which is certainly tender though sometimes dry and livened up by tomato chunks, shredded lettuce and soft, sour pickles. The chicken "kotlet" sandwich is filled with small, soft patties of ground chicken, with potatoes and spices, a result that seems, both in texture and in flavor, more like a falafel patty more than a cutlet.
Everything is served on soft French bread, which is the secret star at Attari. Though the shop is known for its sandwiches, the bread may go best with the osh (spelled at most other Iranian restaurants as "ash"), a thick, green lentil stew drizzled with tart yogurt and sprinkled with shavings of sweet fried onions. At $4.95 for a bowl large enough for two people, it's a terrific deal and the perfect way to warm up on a cold L.A. night.
- Day 4: Godmother Sub at Bay Cities Deli
- Day 3: Shaved Turkey Sandwich at True Food Kitchen
- Day 2: Porchetta at Mozza2Go
- Day 1: Cole's vs. Philippe's
Elina Shatkin is a staff writer at LA Weekly. Follow her at @elinashatkin or contact her at email@example.com.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...