Anti-Valentine's Day: 6 Bars + Restaurants Help You Celebrate (A Relative Term) Being Single
Screw Cupid. That's Oakfire Pizza's answer to the infamous February fete. And whether you think Valentine's Day is a holiday made in hell, you're happily unattached, or you're open to all possibilities, we've listed six bars and restaurants (in alphabetical order) that are celebrating the single person. Think of it as your guide to where you can go for love -- or where love can go -- this February 14.
6. Birds Cafe & Bar: We were told Birds will be brewing prizes for the best break-up stories, "Voodoo dolls, Black Heart martinis, great heartache tunes and group therapy for the lovelorn," but there are apparently also exes-in-effigy pinatas, poison Post-It notes scribbled and stuck all over the restaurant, and all the "shit they burned on the bar" last year. 5925 Franklin Ave, Hollywood; (323) 465-0175.
5. Lucifer's Pizza: You aren't the only one who thinks love is a dish best served with fire and brimstone. The good folks at Lucifer's Pizza would like you to "Make Lucifer Your Valentine." Bring them a rose and they'll give you 20% off your order. If you're not getting naked, you might as well eat pizza; at least it's comfort food. 1958 Hillhurst Ave., Los Angeles; (323) 906-8603.
4. Lucky Strike: This Hollywood hotspot/bowling alley believes "Cupid is Stupid." If you're going to strike out anyway, it might as well be with other people. And with their two-for-one bowling and complimentary champagne, you might end up getting lucky after all. 6801 Hollywood Blvd., Hollywood; (323) 467-7776.
3. Oakfire Pizza: Got an axe to grind with your ex? Don't get mad, get inebriated. Bring a picture of your ex to either one of Oakfire's locations on February 14 and they'll shred it at the bar and give you a free drink. They'll also be offering half-off drink specials for the unattached. Cheers. Two locations: 829 North La Cienega Blvd, West Hollywood; 310.659.8848 and 13359 Ventura Blvd, Sherman Oaks; (818) 205.9306.
2. Rush Street: The Chi-town-inspired Culver City sports bar has an entire weekend planned. Single people are encouraged to come out on Saturday for Rush Street's "Meet Your Valentine" party. Dance, suck down cool pre-VD bottle service and engage in some "pole room fun." The next day, Rush Street is serving their Sunday brunch -- featuring a make-your-own Bloody Mary bar and bottomless Mimosas. Because they care. At least someone does. 9546 Washington Blvd., Culver City; (310) 837.9546.
1. Villains Tavern: Valentine's Day might be landing on a Monday, but Villains Tavern knows you'll need to drown your sorrows through the weekend. On Saturday night they'll be serving up their own kind of heartbreak -- Heartbreak Punch, that is -- accompanied by drink specials and the music Paul Chesne. 1356 Palmetto Los Angeles; (213) 613.0766.
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.