5 Restaurant Picks From The Bazaar's Joshua Whigham
The Bazaar chef de cuisine Joshua Whigham
Robert Catrini/courtesy The Bazaar
Where the Chefs Eat is an ongoing series in which we ask a local chef to give us his or her favorite dining options. This week, The Bazaar's Chef de Cuisine Joshua Whigham gives us five spots he eats when he's not in the kitchen.
5. Hollywood Thai: "This is one of my regular spots with one of my good friends. We go there for a cold beer, the black egg with basil dish -- and to listen to really bad Thai karaoke."
4. Masacasa (in Eagle Rock): "It's very simple Japanese food done extremely well, especially the curry." 1757 Colorado Blvd., Eagle Rock; (323) 254-2000.
3. Bestia: "Every time I go it's just good, plain and simple. Ori [Menache, the chef] is a hell of a cook. The charcuterie is great and the pizza gorgonzola -- wow! Plus drinking some oxidized wines served by Maxwell [Leer, the sommelier], you have yourself a great night!"
2. Stella Rossa: "Jeff Mahin's pizzas are exceptional. His other plated dishes are, too -- simple but thoughtful, with each ingredient having a purpose. The smoked grapes with burrata and sea salt and the kale pizza are musts."
1. Dang Sung Sa (in Koreatown): "I love their dried sweet white fish -- they cook them on a plancha until crispy, then serve them with mayo and Tabasco for dipping. They are warm, salty, sweet, creamy, spicy, goodness. The octopus, kimchee, seafood pancake and black sausage are all really good here as well."
Want more Squid Ink? Follow us on Twitter or like us on Facebook.
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- Big Fat Jerks Set Rocio's Mole de los Dioses on Fire, McWhoppers for Peace and More:...
- Huitlacoche Is No Scourge In L.A. Here's Where to Find the Funky Mexican Corn Fungus
- No One Wants To Use Your Stupid Restaurant App
- Help Us Determine L.A.'s Top Chefs, Tacos, Cocktails, Burgers, Brunch and More for Our...