5 Restaurant Picks From The Bazaar's Joshua Whigham
Robert Catrini/courtesy The BazaarThe Bazaar chef de cuisine Joshua Whigham
Where the Chefs Eat is an ongoing series in which we ask a local chef to give us his or her favorite dining options. This week, The Bazaar's Chef de Cuisine Joshua Whigham gives us five spots he eats when he's not in the kitchen.
5. Hollywood Thai: "This is one of my regular spots with one of my good friends. We go there for a cold beer, the black egg with basil dish -- and to listen to really bad Thai karaoke."
4. Masacasa (in Eagle Rock): "It's very simple Japanese food done extremely well, especially the curry." 1757 Colorado Blvd., Eagle Rock; (323) 254-2000.
3. Bestia: "Every time I go it's just good, plain and simple. Ori [Menache, the chef] is a hell of a cook. The charcuterie is great and the pizza gorgonzola -- wow! Plus drinking some oxidized wines served by Maxwell [Leer, the sommelier], you have yourself a great night!"
2. Stella Rossa: "Jeff Mahin's pizzas are exceptional. His other plated dishes are, too -- simple but thoughtful, with each ingredient having a purpose. The smoked grapes with burrata and sea salt and the kale pizza are musts."
1. Dang Sung Sa (in Koreatown): "I love their dried sweet white fish -- they cook them on a plancha until crispy, then serve them with mayo and Tabasco for dipping. They are warm, salty, sweet, creamy, spicy, goodness. The octopus, kimchee, seafood pancake and black sausage are all really good here as well."
Get the Squid Ink'd Newsletter
Sign up for our weekly food newsletter, which features top local food news and events, plus interviews with chefs and restaurant owners, dining tips and a link to our print review.