30 Scoops in 30 Days: Milk (Day 22)
Some people come to Milk for the dense, brick-like ice cream bars. Some come for the ice cream sandwiches, stacked on toasted macarons and dipped into chocolate. Some even come for the plain old ice cream in intriguing flavors like Thai ice tea and coffee chocolate chip. Those are all good reasons to visit this little ice creamery that takes dessert as seriously as a Michelin-starred steakhouse takes its filet mignon. Still, the best reason to come to Milk are the shakes.
We're torn between our two favorites: the Milkie Way Malt and the Banana Peanut Malt. The former is a textural wonder with nubby bullets of malted chocolate riddling the creamy, caramel-swirled vanilla. The latter is a combo of almost every flavor we love, beginning with Milk's toasty banana dulce de leche ice cream. On its own, it's top-notch. Mix it with malt balls and peanuts, and it's fantastic.
On summer nights like these, the store always seems to have a line. There's a reason. Milk has elevated dairy desserts to an art form, using superior ingredients to stamp out classic American treats both timeless and thoroughly modern.
- Day 21: Paradis
- Day 20: Pazzo
- Day 19: Bulgarini
- Day 18: Bennett's Ice Cream
- Day 17: GO Burger
- Day 16: Carvel 90210
- Day 15: Delicieuse
- Day 14: Manhattan Beach Creamery
- Day 13: Jerry's Soda Shoppe
- Day 12: N'ice Cream
- Day 11: Gelato Bar
- Day 10: Kind Kreme
- Day 9: Rite Aid
- Day 8: Saffron & Rose
- Day 7: Carmela Ice Cream
- Day 6: Mikawaya
- Day 5: Grom Gelateria
- Day 4: Sweet Rose Creamery
- Day 3: Fosselman's
- Day 2: Mateo's Ice Cream & Fruit Bars
- Day 1: Scoops Westside
- Day 0: It Begins!
Get the Food & Drink Newsletter
Our weekly guide to Los Angeles dining includes food news and reviews, as well as dining events and interviews with chefs and restaurant owners.
More Food & Drink News
- A New Wave of L.A. Social Enterprises Serve Pizza and Coffee With Community in Mind
- SCI-Arc's Adorable Campus Cafe Is No College Cafeteria (And It's Open to the Public)
- In a City With Few Meat CSAs, Could This Box Be the Future of Grass-Fed Beef?
- Chef Phillip Frankland Lee's 10 Favorite San Fernando Valley Restaurants