For Fourth of July weekend, tens of thousands of anime fans headed downtown to the Los Angeles Convention Center for Anime Expo. Many of them were in cosplay.
While series like Naruto, Bleach and One Piece spawned the most cosplays, again, there was a good amount of variety inside the convention center. New series were represented, along with video game characters, musicians and live action movies. We've compiled a few of the most memorable below.
At Anime Expo, there are always one or two newer series that dominate the convention floor. Last year, it was Black Butler. This year, the honors go to Hetalia, a satire based on world history, and one other that's mentioned elsewhere on this list. Read more in "'Hetalia' Draws Legions of Fans at Anime Expo."
9. The Deadmau5 Couple
For the last year, Deadmau5 has been inescapable in Los Angeles. His music blares from cars stuck on the 405 and events with his name on the bill are almost guaranteed to be packed. Now Deadmau5 masks are migrating from raves to anime conventions. We saw quite a few of these cosplays at Anime Expo, but this couple pulled it off best.
8. Waldo and Carmen Sandiego
It's not that often that you find Waldo and Carmen Sandiego in the same spot.
7. Battle Royale
Props can make or break your cosplay and the weapons used by these Battle Royale cosplayers are an automatic win.
Durarara!! is the other new cosplay to takeover Anime Expo 2010. The series, which airs online through Crunchyroll, involves Tokyo teenagers, a cyber underworld and a headless motorcyclist. Our favorite was one Shizuo Heiwajima cosplayer who wheeled around a vending machine all weekend.
5. Andrew W.K.
We wish that we could see Andrew W.K. perform his set of Gundam covers at an anime convention, but, in the meantime, we're happy knowing that there are A.W.K. cosplayers in the world. Read more in "Andrew W.K. Cosplay Spotted at Anime Expo."
4. Jacob Black from Twilight
It wasn't just the photograph-as-a-mask that made this memorable, it's the way that the cosplayer struck a movie poster pose when we asked for a photo. Remember, always stay in character.
3. World of WarcraftWe're not sure how this pair was able to move around all day Saturday, but they looked great.
2. BleachBleach cosplays (and Kisuke Urahara hats) are incredibly common at anime cons, but this one stood out from the crowd. Nel is a character in that appears in both a child form and an adult form. These cosplayers are both Nel. See more Bleach cosplays in "Adult Swim to Air More Episodes of Bleach Beginning in August."
1. Princess MononokeThese girls made their own Princess Mononoke cosplays and the results were stunning. We spotted them on the first day of Anime Expo, as a large crowd gathered to photograph them.
Follow @lizohanesian and @ShannonCottrell on Twitter.