What To Do If Your Dog Gets High
Okay: You've never cupped your hands over your dog's snout and blown smoke into his nose. Ever?
Well stop it.
A Human Society expert says getting your dog high is not cool and, worse, could be dangerous.
Dogs, in fact, can't really even get "high" as we know it:
Veterinarian Jennifer Bolser of the Humane Society Of Boulder Valley (Colorado) says your dog is not enjoying the free smoke-out. He might actually be hating it:
Marijuana exposure in pets causes neurologic toxicity, which is not the same as the "high" that people experience. The symptoms (staggering, agitation, stupor, etc.) that develop in pets do not appear enjoyable for them.
So here's what to do if you "accidentally" get your pet stoned:
Head to the vet, Bolser says. You want to get the cannabis out of puppy's system via induced vomiting and charcoal that will absorb it. If worse comes to worst, IV fluid delivery and seizure-control measures might be necessary, she writes.
And, the writer says, be upfront about what, exactly, your pup has been exposed to. Vets, she says, aren't interested in reporting you (this is probably particularly true in medical marijuana states like California and Colorado).
Foremost, please keep your medical marijuana, weed, bud, ganja, pot, brownies and joints safely contained and out of your pets' reach ...
And stop blowing smoke in his face.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.