(Video) Man Apparently Has Epically Bad Psychedelic Trip While Watching '2001: A Space Odyssey' at Hollywood Theater, Plus Tips On How to Avoid Being "That Guy"
As trips go, this one appeared to be "epic" indeed -- as the title to a YouTube video (after the jump) that captured the incident indicates. A man allegedly on a psychedelic drug (LSD? Shrooms?) appeared to freak out during a screening of the eminently trip-worthy 2001: A Space Odyssey at the Egyptian Theater in Hollywood last weekend.
The alleged tripper appears to start shouting during Stanley Kubric's classic sci-fi film, leading one fellow theater-goer to immediately recognize the situation (apparently dropping a tab during 2001 is a common gesture of honor) and recommend that the loud person "just get a glass of water, man," to which others applaud knowingly.
But it doesn't end there. What appear to be white-shirted theater workers attempt to pull the man from his seat and drag him out of the theater, but the accused tripper isn't having it.
He appears to say, "Everybody everybody ... Help me out ... Help me out ... We are in a movie theater."
Eventually the boys in blue show up and swarm the man for good.
What are the lessons here, kids?
- A-number-one: Always, always, always employ the buddy system when tripping. At some point if things go south you'll need an advisor, baby sitter, wheel-barrow operator -- your own Raoul Duke.
- Water. And food. Of course. It never dawns on you until later, unfortunately. But filling your tummy with something other than acid, vodka or nitrous oxide can mediate the effects of drugs.
- Try a change of scenery. This guy was (allegedly) enthralled with 2001 and was literally in a very dark place. Again, it's one of those things you might not realize until later: Turn on a light! Go outside. Get some fresh air. It's amazing. (This applies to sober living as well).
- Don't freak out so hard that police have to come and get you. We think this one is self-explanatory, but if you have trouble executing this solo, see rule A-number-one, above.
- Finally, and we can't emphasize this one enough: Trip to 2001: A Space Odyssey at home. It's really what has driven the explosion in home theater components and hi-def anyway. Capiche?
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.