Together As One New Year's Rave Rejected by L.A. Coliseum
Even as Las Vegas Mayor Oscar Goodman is calling L.A. "second-class" for losing the mega-rave Electric Daisy Carnival to his fair city (for now), the public L.A. Coliseum Commission this week shot down another late-night mainstay, New Year's Eve's Together As One party.
The commission voted in closed session yesterday to deny the promoter's request to hold the annual event at its usual digs, the Coliseum-controlled Sports Arena.
The reasons aren't clear, but the Coliseum/Sports Arena complex seems to have shut out raves following revelations in February that a Coliseum official was perhaps illegally moonlighting for EDC's promoter as the June Coliseum party was under scrutiny for its allegedly druggy ways.
The New Year's party "was not approved," coliseum general manager John Sandbrook told the Weekly today.
Not this year you don't.
Following the double-dipping-employee controversy and concern surrounding last year's raucous EDC, after which a 15-year-old girl died from an ecstasy overdose, the commission decided to approve each event itself rather than leave it up to the general manager.
Sandbrook told us that the promoter Go Ventures brought the Together As One proposal to the commission. In years past the party has been done in partnership with EDC's Insomniac Events.
For now it looks like another rave might not happen at the publicly owned Coliseum/Sports Arena complex until 2012 -- if at all.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Kabbalah Centre and Its Former Rabbi to the Stars to Pay $177,500 in Sexual Battery Suit
Wed., Dec. 2, 7:30pm
Thu., Dec. 3, 6:00pm
Fri., Dec. 4, 7:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 1:00pm
- Bicycle Is Returned to Child, but Alleged Bully Bike Thief Is Still On the Loose
- Thanksgiving Travelers Will Enjoy Lowest Gas Prices Since Early 2009