Toddler Loses Finger on Escalator at Van Nuys Courthouse: It's Reattached by Doctors
A kid's worst nightmare came true in Van Nuys.
Kids seem to have an unnatural fear of escalators. But maybe not.
This week a 17-month-old got on of his fingers caught in an escalator at the courthouse in Van Nuys. The finger was severed in the 8:51 a.m. accident Tuesday at 14400 Erwin St., said the Los Angeles Fire Department's Brian Humphrey.
But there could be some good news in this ...
... doctor's actually reattached the digit.
It wasn't immediately clear if the surgery would take, though.
The boy was headed from the second to first floor of the building with his mom "when his left index finger was traumatically amputated in the comb-and-groove of the foot tread at or near the lowest level of the machinery,'' Humphrey said.
Bystanders shut the escalator down using an emergency shut-off button.
As the boy was taken to Richie Pediatric Trauma Center at Northridge Hospital, firefighters and maintenance workers found the finger in the escalators machinery and the LAFD rushed it to the hospital with lights-and-sirens roaring.
Would the finger be saved? The odds were good, Humphrey said.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Kabbalah Centre and Its Former Rabbi to the Stars to Pay $177,500 in Sexual Battery Suit
Wed., Dec. 2, 7:30pm
Thu., Dec. 3, 6:00pm
Fri., Dec. 4, 7:00pm
Sat., Dec. 5, 1:00pm
- Bicycle Is Returned to Child, but Alleged Bully Bike Thief Is Still On the Loose
- Thanksgiving Travelers Will Enjoy Lowest Gas Prices Since Early 2009