Teens Charged In Celeb Break-Ins: Take Estimated at $3 Mil
Three of four teenage women arrested in a series of burglaries that targeted celebrities' homes were charged in connection with the break-and-take crimes, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's office announced today.
Alexis Christine Neirs and Courtney Leigh Ames, both 18, face one count each of residential burglary, said Deputy District Attorney Kaarin Axelsen. Diana Tamayo, 19, faces two counts; and Roy Lopez Jr., 27, faces one count. Nicholas Prugo, another 18-year-old, had been arrested earlier. He faces seven counts of burglary. Rachel Lee, another teen arrested, has not been charged but is under investigation in Las Vegas.
The charges suggest that, despite reports that the women masterminded the thefts, all but one participated in just one in a string of burglaries that the D.A. says breached the area homes of Audrina Patridge, Paris Hilton, Lindsay Lohan, Rachel Bilson, Ashley Tisdale, Brian Austin Green, Megan Fox and Orlando Bloom.
The D.A. states the alleged crew's take was $3 million worth jewels, clothing and accessories. The alleged burglars, some of whom met at continuation school in Agoura Hills, studied the celebs via magazines and websites and actually hand-picked and window shopped for the goods they're suspected of stealing, the district attorney contends.
They were "picking out clothing and jewelry they wanted," said Axelson.
One last suspect, police told the Los Angeles Times, is at-large and wanted: Club promoter Jonathan "Johny Dangerous" Ajar, 27, said to be the alleged crew's fence. Prugo, meanwhile, will be the first of the bunch to face a judge: He's scheduled to appear in downtown superior court Nov. 12.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.