Teen Girl Who Died After Attending 'EDC' Rave Likely Took Ecstasy
The 15-year-old girl who died after attending last month's Electric Daisy Carnival rave took one dose of ecstasy, according to people close to the girl or her friends. One friend told LA Weekly that Sasha Rodriguez took one ecstasy pill and then collapsed.
Another young woman reports that a friend who was with Rodriguez on June 25th said pretty much the same thing via a Facebook posting. This comes as the county Board of Supervisors on Tuesday was considering a motion to create a rave task force that would weigh whether to restrict the size and hours of such events.
These reports contradict rumors that Rodriguez might have picked up a bottle thinking it was filled with water only to ingest an unknown drug such as GHB.
Although an autopsy on Rodriguez's body was completed last week, results were deferred until toxicology tests could be completed.
EDC claimed to have drawn 185,000 ravers over two days -- with Los Angeles police Chief Charlie Beck putting the number at 200,000. Rodriguez's death, along with rowdy behavior at the event, prompted Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa and county Supervisor Zev Yaroslavsky to question whether such happenings should be held at public venues.
The rave happened at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum, which is run jointly by the city, county and state.
The event was marketed as a 16-and-older happening. But an LA Weekly source who worked both nights said that IDs were not checked.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Kabbalah Centre and Its Former Rabbi to the Stars to Pay $177,500 in Sexual Battery Suit
- Bicycle Is Returned to Child, but Alleged Bully Bike Thief Is Still On the Loose
- Thanksgiving Travelers Will Enjoy Lowest Gas Prices Since Early 2009