Super Bowl DUI Crackdown Hits L.A.
It's not New Year's Eve or even the Fourth of July, St. Patrick's Day or Cinco de Mayo. But Super Bowl Sunday is, in fact, one of the biggest beer holidays in SoCal.
See also: Watch Out For Super Bowl DUI Drivers.
The AAA of Southern California says DUI's soar a whopping 75 percent on Super Bowl Sunday as compared to other Sundays in January and February.
Cops know that too. And they'll be on the hunt for you this weekend if you drink and get behind the wheel:
-Saturday from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m. there will be extra patrol cars and motorcycles (weather willing) on the streets of the LAPD's North Hollywood Division area. Cops call this a "saturation patrol."
-Saturday from 8 p.m. to 2 a.m. the LAPD will have a checkpoint waiting for you on Reseda Boulevard between Saticoy Street and Sherman Way in Reseda.
View Larger Map
- Sunday from 2 p.m. to 10 p.m. another saturation patrol will hit the LAPD's Central Bureau. We're not sure if that means the downtown area's Central Division or the Central Traffic Division, which patrols a wider area.
-Sunday from 5 p.m. to 1 a.m. the saturation patrol hits the department's West Valley Division area and 77th Street Division area (of South L.A.).
-Sunday from 7 p.m. to 3 a.m. extra DUI patrols will be on the streets of Hollywood.
Additionally, the L.A. County Sheriff's Department says its "Avoid the 100 DUI Task Force," which refers to 100 local law enforcement agencies in L.A. County, will be out in force during Super Bowl weekend. But they are not giving out location details.
Don't be a loser. Be safe.
Get the Weekly Newsletter
Our weekly feature stories, movie reviews, calendar picks and more - minus the newsprint and sent directly to your inbox.
- Hermosa Beach Oil Drilling Measure Goes Down to Defeat After Massive Voter Turnout
- Election Results: Los Angeles City and County, March 4, 2015 (Updated Live)
- West Hollywood Shocker as City Councilman John Heilman Faces Possible Defeat
- California Has More Billionaires Than Almost Any Other Place on Earth