Rare Malibu Murder Takes Life of Guido's Restaurant Worker
Updated at the bottom with the guy's name: Also, this might not be a murder at all. First posted at 7:08 a.m. Monday.
A rare shooting in Malibu took the life of a dishwasher at Guido's restaurant last night, according to sheriff's officials and reports.
Fox 11 News reported that the man was shot inside, near about a half dozen other coworkers, with at least some diners present.
Sheriff's officials said ...
... they were called to the location in the 3800 block of Cross Creek Road about 9:20 p.m. Sunday.
Guido's is at 3874 Cross Creek Road, not far from Malibu Colony, home of many Hollywood notables. Surfrider state beach and Malibu Lagoon are also nearby landmarks.
View Larger Map
According to a sheriff's statement:
The victim was pronounced dead at the scene.
[Update at 11:33 a.m.]: Sheriff's homicide Lt. Eddie Hernandez tells us that it does not appear the victim was shot. But earlier indications that he was fatally beaten might be premature as well. He said coroner's investigators on the scene this morning could find no "injuries," even though the victim was bloodied.
No one heard shots fired, however.
The victim was described as 32-years-old and well liked by his co-workers.
Hernandez surmised that he might have been attacked by someone near a group of trash bins after taking out the trash. The victim then possibly stumbled back to the front entrance of the restaurant and collapsed. Onlookers called 911.
Hernandez told the Weekly:
He might have been taking the trash out. We saw evidence that he may have stumbled back to the restaurant and collapsed. At this point we beleive it was an assault.
Authorities know the man's name but couldn't release it until his family was notified.
[Update at 1:20 p.m. Tuesday]: While the Malibu Times is reporting that the worker might have died of "natural causes," it's still not clear what felled this man. Note that sheriff's officials told us there was a trail of blood leading from a trash area to the front of the restaurant.
L.A. County coroner's Capt. John Kades told the Weekly that an autopsy has yet to be performed and will likely be done tomorrow. He also said the man's next of kin had yet to be notified, so they can't release his name yet.
Here's what he said:
The cause is not definite until we're done with the autopsy. I don't think we've ruled anyting out yet.
Another coroner's official told us earlier in the day that, "It's not a homicide."
We'll keep you posted.
[Update at 11:26 a.m. Wednesday]: He was identified by the coroner's office today as Carlos Ivan Rodas, 32. An autopsy wasn't expected to be completed until tomorrow.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Street Artist Highlights Hollywood Racism (PHOTOS)
- Minorities Target Oscars Luncheon for Protest
- Super Bowl Weekend DUI Crackdown Starts Tonight