Rapper Pimp C's Death Ruled An Accident
Rapper Pimp C, one of hip-hop's most influential figures, died accidentally due to a combination of cough medicine and his prior history of sleep apnea, according to new findings by the Los Angeles County Coroner.
“Due to his sleep apnea along with his prescribed medication it resulted in him passing away in his sleep,” said Assistant Chief Ed Winter about the rapper whose real name was Chad Butler. According to Winter, Butler’s family was aware that the rapper suffered from sleep apnea – a sleep disorder characterized by pauses in breathing during sleep. “He did not overdose,” according to Winter.
The 33-year-old native of Port Arthur, Texas, was found dead on his bed at the Mondrian Hotel in West Hollywood by security officers on December 5. He was supposed to check out of the posh hotel a few days earlier but didn’t. Family members called asking his whereabouts which prompted the search of his room by security guards. He was pronounced dead by paramedics around 9:20 a.m.
It appeared that he had died naturally, and there were no signs of trauma or drug paraphernalia. An autopsy was performed and the results were pending on toxicology results.
Pimp C , who helped popularize Southern rap, was a member of the Texas hip-hop duo UGK along with his partner Bun B. The hip-hop duo scored a No. 1 album “Underground Kingz” last year.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.