Rapist Tied Up Teen, Kept Her for Weeks, L.A. Prosecutors Allege
UPDATE at 3:08 p.m., Thursday, April 16, 2015: Duran's plea is revealed, below. Also, the girl's mom speaks.
A 15-year-old girl reported missing last month was tied up, raped and kept in a Westside home against her will for three weeks, Los Angeles prosecutors alleged today.
Suspect Samuel Robert Duran Jr. of Culver City was charged today with a dozen counts that included allegations of rape, forced oral copulation and forced digital penetration, the Los Angeles County District Attorney's Office announced.
"The complaint includes allegations of tying and binding," a DA's statement says.
The crimes allegedly occurred from March 25 to April 13. The victim was last seen at her Mar Vista home about 8 p.m. on March 24, Los Angeles police said.
It's not clear how the teenager and suspect might have met. The case was still under investigation.
Cops rescued the girl from the suspect's home Monday after she was able to make a phone call, prosecutors said. The call for help was traced to that address, they said.
Prosecutors said they would ask a judge today for $14.4 million bail. Duran could face life behind bars if successfully convicted.
UPDATE at 3:08 p.m., Thursday, April 16, 2015: Duran pleaded not guilty to all counts this afternoon.
The girl's mother says she's adopted and has autism. She also told NBC Los Angeles that the teen suffered from fetal alcohol syndrome.
The mom described to the station the call for help she received from her daughter:
"Mommy, help, mommy help." And I was shocked. ... I looked at the phone and there was a caller ID after it got disconnected, and it saved her life. She's at home with me because of that.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you'll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.