Occupy L.A. Has 'no Plans to Leave' City Hall Lawn Despite LAPD Chief Beck's Claim That an Exit Timeline is Being Hammered Out
See our news feature on Occupy L.A. and the police, "The Zen of LAPD Chief Charlie Beck" here.
Despite a widely echoed report in the Los Angeles Times stating that LAPD Chief Charlie Beck has been hammering out a timeline with Occupy L.A. leaders for the movement's decampment from the City Hall lawn, organizers said today that they're not going anywhere.
A statement on one of Occupy's local websites seems to directly refute the report. (Asked by a TV news reporter yesterday about the timeline Beck said there was no decampment date).
Anyway, here's what Occupy's "media relations" team stated today:
At this point, we have no plans to leave -- we have only begun our mission. If LA Occupiers eventually exit City Hall, it would be due to OccupyLA's conclusion that our work could be done more efficiently at another location.
The apparent standoff comes amid Occupy evictions at New York's Zuccotti Park and violent confrontations between occupiers and cops in Oakland.
So far things have been way mellow in L.A.
But while the L.A. City Council voted to support the movement, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa said the downtown occupiers can't stay on the City Hall lawn "indefinitely."
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter Our daily newsletter delivers quick clicks to keep you in the know
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.