Not 1 But 2 Blasts at Disneyland, OC Prosecutors Say
There were not one but two blasts at Disneyland this week.
So says the Orange County District Attorney's office in its prosecution of employee and suspect Christian Barnes, 22. The previously unknown water-bottle explosion happened ...
... about an hour and a half before the one that we all know about, the one that rocked Disneyland's world and prompted two hours of evacuations at Mickey's Toontown.
The mini-explosions are described in a DA's statement:
Sometime after 4 p.m., a female employee went to relieve the defendant from his shift at a vending cart outside of Toontown. Barnes is accused of opening the vending cart, at which time the first water bottle containing dry ice exploded.
The defendant is accused of then taking the second water bottle from the cart and walking away toward the employee break room. While passing through Toontown, Barnes is accused of placing the second water bottle containing dry ice in a trash can. He is accused of then leaving the immediate area.
Several minutes later, a custodian was removing trash bags from trash cans in Toontown and removed the bag containing the destructive device. The custodian put the bag on the ground and walked a short distance to clear another trash can. While the trash bag was on the ground, the water bottle exploded.
Barnes / OC Weekly
The 'splosion heard around the world was reported shortly before 5:30 p.m. Tuesday, police told us. Toontown was evacuated for about two hours, but cops quickly realized what kind of device they were dealing with, one that's fairly harmless.
An Anaheim police spokesman described to us how the "bomb" works: Simply put dry ice into a water bottle and close the lid: The dry ice expands until the bottle fails and explodes. The dry ice's foggy, smoky effect then apparently scares people.
Barnes, a 22-year-old from Long Beach who worked at Disneyland as an "outdoor vending cast member," was charged with "one felony count of possession of a destructive device in a public place," according to thedistrict attorney's statement.
He faces as much as six years behind bars if convicted. Prosecutors said they would recommend half a million dollars bail.
Barnes was due in court shortly.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Valentine's Weekend DUI Checkpoints Hit Hollywood, Koreatown
Thu., Feb. 18, 7:30pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 2:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 6:00pm
Fri., Feb. 19, 7:30pm
- Watch the Porter Ranch Gas Leak Get Shut Down (VIDEO)
- Teen Raver Died From Ecstasy Intoxication, Coroner Says