Morning Sixpack: A News Roundup
- New Mayor in Hot Seat Mary Su, who was sworn in as Walnut's first Chinese-American woman mayor Wednesday night, is already at the top of recall petitions because she did not display enough ardor in opposing an NFL stadium being planned for neighboring Industry.
- Hoodie Recall About 300,000 kids' hoodies manufactured by Hill Sportswear of Paramount are being recalled following the strangulation death of a Fresno boy whose drawstring got caught on a slide.
- Gang Race Victim? An 18-year-old Citrus College student was gunned down in Duarte Monday because of his ethnicity, say investigators. Miguel Sanchez allegedly was shot by black youths -- further evidence, authorities say, of a two-year feud between Latino and African American gangs in the Monrovia-Duarte area.
- German Tourist Killer Nabbed Paul Carpenter, allegedly the last member of a robbery team to be apprehended in the 1998 shooting death of a German Tourist in Santa Monica, was arrested in Jamaica. Horst Fietze apparently could not understand his robbers' demands for his wallet and was shot dead before they could take anything from him. Carpenter, living under a false name, was selling BMWs at the time of his arrest.
- Trapped Snowboarder Rescued Timothy Triche, who'd been trapped since Wednesday at the 10,000-foot line of Mount Baldy, was rescued today, after emergency crews had to wait out weather conditions to reach and airlift him to a hospital. He's in stable condition after suffering frostbite and exposure.
Don't Take Your Guns to Town A new law proposed by L.A. City Council members Jack Weiss and Janice Hahn will ban gun ownership for those convicted of certain misdemeanors. Weiss' main opponent for the City Attorney race, Carmen Trutanich, includes the National Rifle Association among his law firm's clients.
Get the ICYMI: Today's Top Stories Newsletter
Catch up on the day's news and stay informed with our daily digest of the most popular news, music, food and arts stories in Los Angeles, delivered to your inbox Monday through Friday.