Morning Sixpack: A News Roundup
Catalina Boaters Missing The Coast Guard is searching for two men who set sail on a 27-foot boat Friday from Santa Catalina Island to Santa Cruz. Associated Press
- The Cardinal Makes an Offer Cardinal Roger Mahony will announce today that the L.A. Archdiocese will invite LAUSD Students to participate in summer school classes and after-school programs at local Catholic schools. City News Service (subscription required)
Svorinich to Reclaim Old Seat? Former L.A. City Councilman Rudy Svorinich says he is giving "serious consideration" to running for the District 15 seat after Janice Hahn leaves office. Daily Breeze
Mayor's Tenants Busted A state multi-agency narcotics force
raided a property owned by the mayor of Bell, calling it a "super lab"
producing methamphetamine L.A. Times.
Zell Out? Under a restructuring plan being organized in U.S. Bankruptcy Court, control of Chicago-based Tribune Company, which owns the L.A. Times, could pass from CEO Sam Zell to a group of banks and creditors. Chicago Tribune
- March Against Mass Murder More than 2,000 people marched three miles across the West Valley to protest genocide in Darfur. Sunday's Walk for Darfur event, sponsored by Jewish World Watch, raised an estimated $150,000. L.A. Daily News
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Lee Baca's Chronic State of Denial Led to His Downfall
- Former Sheriff Lee Baca Admits He Lied to FBI, Could Face Prison
- Cyclists Dedicate L.A. Marathon Crash Ride to Bernie Sanders