Morning Sixpack: A News Roundup
- Dolla Shooter: It Was Self-Defense Aubrey Louis Berry, according to his lawyer, says he shot Dolla at the Beverly Center because he felt threatened by the Atlanta rapper and his crew. L.A. Times
- UCLA Prof Caught Plagiarizing School of Dentistry professor Dr. Doina Panaite resigned in February, it was revealed Wednesday, following charges she plagiarized parts of a peer-reviewed article she'd published in an academic journal. Panaite claims her Endnote software ate one citation to the material, making it appear she was claiming credit for other researchers' work. Daily Bruin, Journal of the California Dental Association
- Palmdale Votes to Raise Taxes On hotel guests, that is. The cash-strapped High Desert city hopes to raise $1 million in new revenue by boosting its hotel room tax from seven to 10 percent. Antelope Valley Press
- Synagogues Squeezed by Recession From potluck minyan lunches to staff layoffs, L.A. temples are trying to cope with the effects of a faltering economy. Some, like the Wilshire Boulevard Temple, are reaching into their investment portfolios to balance budgets. Jewish Journal
- Angeles Crest Stretch Re-opens A landslide-battered section of Highway 2, closed since 2005, re-opened near Wrightwood Wednesday, following a $10.5 million restoration project. Pasadena Star-News
Voice of Mickey Mouse Dies Actor Wayne Allwine, who voiced Mickey Mouse for more than 30 years in such films as Mickey's Christmas Carol (1983) and Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988), has died from diabetes complications. Allwine was the third man to voice Mickey; at his side was his wife Russi Taylor -- the voice of Minnie Mouse. Associated Press, Walt Disney Co.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- Hollywood Pool Season Extended Through October
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 12:35pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 1:00pm
- Hotel Owner Charged in Venice Homeless Murder
- L.A.'s Small Business Climate Gets Mediocre Grades