Morning Sixpack: A News Roundup
- Homeless Man Was Torched With Flare Robert Winton of the L.A. Times reports Deputy D.A. William Hodgman's charge that Ben Matthew Martin set fire to John Robert McGraham (not, as reported, "McGrath") with a road flare after dousing the homeless man with gasoline in an L.A. alley last fall. Martin, arrested last week, faces torture-murder counts and remains in custody.
- Fauxtox Doc: I'm Innocent Dr. Cary Hansen pleads not guilty to injecting patients with fake botox in his Sunset Strip office. Fred Shuster's City News Service wire story is picked up by the L.A. Daily News.
- Eight is Enough? All eight of the Bellflower octuplets are in stable condition after a yet-to-be-identified mother gave birth to them at a Kaiser Permanente hospital. The multiple deliveries represent only the second such recorded births.
- Prop 8 -- The Musical The O.C. Register's Paul Hodgins blogs that Hairspray co-creator Marc Shaiman's Prop 8 -- the Musical, which started out last December as a three-minute online video, is headed to Broadway as a real musical.
- The Curious Case Against Benjamin Button Defamer speculates how Benjamin Button could completely wipe out on Oscar Night and go 0 for 13. "Be afraid, Paramount," warns the piece.
Get the This Week's Top Stories Newsletter
Every week we collect the latest news, music and arts stories — along with film and food reviews and the best things to do this week — so that you’ll never miss LA Weekly's biggest stories.
- 244 People Here Illegally Arrested in Historic Sweep
Sat., Sep. 5, 12:30pm
Sat., Sep. 5, 8:00pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 12:35pm
Sun., Sep. 6, 1:00pm
- Bike Sharing Is Officially Coming to DTLA
- Wary of Loud Protests, Cop Commission Threatens to Arrest the Disrespectful